Jeremy Corbyn has today announced the boldest environmental policy of any major party in British history:
“We will act to protect the future of our planet, with social justice at the heart of our environment policies. We will create a low-carbon economy, using our National Investment Bank. And we will deliver an energy policy for the 60 million, not the Big 6 energy companies, championing community-owned renewable energy.”
1. Lead action on climate change
- We will play a leading role internationally and commit to cutting carbon emissions at home.
- Honour the Paris Climate Agreement
- Mobilise communities to plant 64 million native broadleaf trees in 10 years
2. A world class green economy
We will create over 300,000 renewable energy jobs throughout the country. We will put modern low-carbon industries at the heart of our £500 billion investment strategy, championing a new green industrial revolution
- Invest in a modern Britain:
- Fund decarbonisation strategies for energy-intensive industry
- Support mayors and councils to drive the sift to a new low carbon economy
- Re-skill Britain:
- Introduce new college programmes and quality apprenticeships
- Ensure all workers in fossil fuels get decent sustainable employment
- Protect people and communities:
- Stop the planning system being rigged in the interests of developers
- Defend access to justice on issues such as fracking and air pollution
3. Clean, democratically accountable energy
We will deliver clean energy, affordable heating and electricity – energy for the 60 million, not the big 6 energy companies.
- Let local communities take back control of their power:
- Promote the growth of over 200 ‘local energy companies’ within the next parliament
- Support the development of 1,000 community energy co-operatives
- Cut energy waste and costs:
- Insulate 4 million homes
- Build 1 million new carbon neutral homes – including half a million council houses
- Set a minimum ‘B and C’ energy efficiency standard for all rented housing
- Protect people from fuel poverty through support with bills
- Drive the low-carbon transition:
- 65% renewable electricity by 2030, aiming for 85% as technology improves and diffuses.
- Deliver investment and industrial strategy to create over 300,000 renewables jobs throughout the country along the whole supply chain
- Halve air pollution deaths by 2030 by promoting a shift to electric and hydrogen buses and cars; a network of low-emission zones; and to cycling with safe cycle lanes and hire schemes in every town and city.
- End polluting energy:
- Take action now to keep 80% of fossil fuels in the ground globally
- Phase out coal power stations by the early 2020s
- Ban fracking
4. Extend EU environmental protections
80% of environmental protections that people and nature rely on come from the EU.
- Fully implement all EU environmental protections
- Introduce a long-term plan to begin the recovery of nature including regulations in farming and fishing, and the use of pesticides.
- End the pay-to-pollute approach